Being a huge fanatical fan of Game of Thrones, Dubrovnik been on my bucket list destinations. My family travelled off season, and it was the best decision we made. We got ALL the Old Town to ourselves, which was the highlight of my trip. We stayed at some of the best luxurious hotels and got a chance to visit the best restaurants without having to be on the waiting list for a table.
The Game of Thrones has gained impressive popularity over the years. Dubrovnik, Croatia, is the lovely city where the production of the show takes place. The land has a rich culture, and these five places are top attractions for fan visitors.
1. The Jesuit Stairs – These famous Baroque stairs appeared in Season Five of the series during the infamous 'Walk of Shame' scene. The stairs extend from Gundulic Square to St. Ignatius Church and embrace Spanish architecture. The iconic scene catapulted the location's popularity and has become a frequently visited landmark. The view from the top is charming and gives you a great view of the city.
2. Fort Lovrijenac – This area is often referred to as St. Lawrence Fortress and is a theater located on the outskirts of the western walls of the Old Town in Dubrovnik. The interior of the fortress is used for filming the halls of the 'Red Keep' while the exterior captures Blackwater Bay. Visitors are welcome to navigate the fort and experience the ancient history that lies within.
3. City Walls – The amazing City Walls of Dubrovnik were a major deciding factor with producers when selecting Dubrovnik to shoot this beloved series. Countless scenes feature the Medieval style walls, including some near the Narrow Sea and many private walks taken on the show. You can take a tour of the walls for a small fee. There are three main entrances, and while taking the tour, you will get a chance to see Lovrijenac Fortress and capture beautiful views of the Adriatic Sea.
4. Tresteno Arboretum – This site is a major filming location, known as the Kings Landing and Red Keep's Garden on the show. It's located 10 miles from Dubrovnik. The park is stunning and encapsulates the privacy that's represented in the series. It's one of the oldest arboretums in the world, and the hedges combined with the floral selections are immaculate.
5. Island of Lokrum – This island is located 600 meters from the city and is home to the famous 'Iron Throne.' The throne is housed in the Visitors Center and is free for spectators. You are welcome to pose and snap a few pics sitting on the throne if you'd like. Other Game of Thrones points of interest in Lokrum include the botanical gardens (located off the coast) featured in the city of Quarth as well as the monastery.
The essence of the show is everywhere in Dubrovnik. As you walk the streets, you will surely recognize details and signature scenes from the series.
This city is for those who appreciate the historical relevance, and the beauty and majesty of the city old town.
Lastly I would like to mention the natural beauty of the Croatian natural parks and their various flora and fauna will leave you mesmerized. Visit any or all of Croatia’s eight national parks: Brijuni, Kornati, Krka, Mljet, Paklenica, Plitvice Lakes, Risnjak, and Northern Velebit. Frequently referred to as heaven on earth, Brijuni has 14 small islands that are famous for their beautiful shapes, varied and distinct forms, and high cliffs. Meanwhile, Plitvice, which has 16 lakes that are connected by waterfalls as high as 78 meters, is just another one of the Croatian national parks that will truly captivate you with its natural beauty.
We’d love to help you plan your trip to see these natural wonders, so be sure to call or email us when you’re ready to start planning.
Contact us here or send us an email on firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on +254 722 354 333 / 0713 753 333